Saturday, November 21, 2015

And I Had Faith...

In Enos 1:15 the Lord says to Enos, "whatsoever thing ye shall ask in faith, believing that ye shall receive in the name of Christ, ye shall receive it."  And in response Enos says in verse 16 "And I had faith."  So he preceded to put his request to the Lord.

That simple sentence "And I had faith" really got me thinking.  What quality of faith will allow a person to be able to put his request to the Lord?  Would faith the size of a grain of mustard seed be sufficient?  Or is the mustard seed merely the beginning stage of growth before one can claim to have an Enos-sized faith?  I wonder what my growth level or potential is at the moment?

Elder Robert D. Hale said in his Oct. 2004 conference talk, that Enos qualified himself to receive his answer because he hungered and thirsted "after righteousness."

There's something that I want, but I'm not sure if I really want it.  But I know that the Lord wants it for me.  It makes me feel like Jonah.  Told to do one thing, but chooses to do another until he finds himself in the belly of a whale.  I think Jonah gets a bad rap because of the whole whale thing, but he was a good prophet, he just got scared.  Who wouldn't have been afraid to face the Assyrians?  They were known to torture their enemies and captives.

I don't want to wait for a whale.  I would like to say with all confidence like Enos, "I have faith."  And then proceed to put my request to the Lord.  **sigh**  I'm thinking there might be a whale in my future.  **whispers softly** I have faith.

No comments: