Sunday, November 8, 2015

A Little at a Time

 I had only known the bible growing up.  I went to Catholic school, where religion class was a main staple.  So, I was fairly well versed in the Old and New Testament.  About the time, I hit the sixth grade I lost a friend to a car accident.  I recall sitting in church listening to all the fine words that were spoken, but not understanding how my friend was no longer among us.  Death had taken him, and now his life was over.  Ended.  But how could it just be the end, that there was nothing left of him but memories.  How could the God that I been taught to love and fear no longer make any sense?  How could that be right?

Sitting in the pew, with my classmates, the sound of sad tears and broken hearts echoing loudly in the quiet of the church.  Slowly, each row filed past his casket to receive communion and say farewell.  A sudden sense of dread came over me.  I watched with trepidation as row after row pressed forward.  Soon it would be our turn.  I could not pass his coffin and say good-bye.  I could not even get my feet under me.  What would I be saying good-bye to?  Where would he be going that I could wish him farewell?  A huge gnawing began to grow in my stomach.  Tears began to flow, as silent prayers were offered.  The answer that came brought such a calm into my heart.  I knew it would be alright, that God would take care of my friend.  I didn't need to worry, were the whispers to my mind.  I didn't understand what was happening.  But, I knew I wouldn't have to worry.

Years later, as an adult taking lessons from the missionaries, I came upon a scripture that completely floored me.  It is found in Alma 11: 42-45 where Amulek teaches Zeezrom about death and immortality.  I was dumbstruck!  This scripture spoke to all the questions I had at the age of twelve, and dreading to say good-bye to a friend.  How could it be possible that someone had written the answers to my questions?  2 Nephi 29:10 says "Wherefore, because that ye have a Bible ye need not suppose that it contains all my words..."

I didn't need to worry, were the words that He whispered to me.

 "For behold, I shall speak unto the Jews and they shall write it, and I shall also speak unto the Nephites and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto the other tribes of the house of Israel, which I have led away, and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto all nations of the earth and they shall write it (2 Nephi 29:12).

No comments: